Sports Personality of the Year – Sponsored by Applewood Independent
• Oliver Holmes- Crewe & Nantwich Touch Rugby Club, Lymm Rugby Club
• Josh Betteley- Vale Royal AC Cross Country & Athletics- Crewe
• Rowan Cheshire- Team GB Freestyle Skier- Alsager
• Ben & Tom Curry- Former Crewe and Nantwich RUFC players
Winner: Josh Betteley
Josh has represented North England and the North West in the London Mini Marathon. After suffering a serious brain injury he is not letting anything get in his way, Josh has inspired those around him showing great courage and determination to continue in long-distance running. Josh is seen as a true inspiration to those close to him, so much so that his school (Sandbach Boys) have introduced the ‘Josh Betteley Award’ for students that have shown spirit and overcome significant obstacles.
Young Sports Achiever of the Year– Sponsored by Xn Leisure
• Lewis Bagguley- Crewe & Nantwich Gymnastics Club
• Sian Heslop- Macclesfield Harriers
• Jordan Griffin- Ice hockey Bradford Bulldogs IHC
• Amy Morris- figure skating , Knutsford Cheshire
• Thomas Nairn- Alsager Company of Archers
Winner: Thomas Nairn
Thomas finished 9th in the international Back2Back tournament, competing against top archers from around the globe. Topping that, he won the Senior National Indoor Championships, beating Olympic archers and seasoned senior internationals in a field of one hundred and eighty of the UK’s top archers.
Disabled Sports Achiever of the Year – Sponsored by ANSA
• Ella O’Donnell- Swimmer –Wilmslow
• Sophie Thornhill- Great Britain Cycling Team- Poynton
• Crewe Seahorse Swimming Club
Winner: Sophie Thornhill
Within 12 months Sophie, a visually impaired cyclist, has won two world titles in the tandem kilo and sprint, broken two world records in the process at her debut UCI Para-cycling Track World Championships in Mexico. Also becoming a Paralympic Champion in Rio later that year, winning gold in the tandem B kilo time trial and a bronze medal in the tandem B pursuit before becoming a triple world champion with new pilot Corrine Hall at the 2017 world championships. Sophie and Corrine dominated at the 2017 UCI Paracycling Track World Championships in LA, USA – the duo secured a clean sweep of tandem world titles, winning gold in the individual pursuit, time trial and sprint.
Coach of the Year – Sponsored by FLM Training
• David Chadwick- Netball Coach- Sandbach, Crewe Middlewich
• Keith Hancock- Athletics- Crewe and Nantwich
• Danny Massey- Crewe Football Club
• Pauline Lynch- Macclesfield Harriers
• John Dawson- Crewe Central Table Tennis Club
Winner: Keith Hancock
Keith has been coaching athletics as a volunteer in Cheshire East for the past 26 years. Over this time he has coached hundreds of children into the sport, with several going on to become national and international competitors. Keith has organised the town sports in Crewe and Nantwich since 1997 and this year the event was the biggest ever with thirty eight primary schools taking part.
Health & Wellbeing – Sponsored by Active Cheshire
• Motherwell CIC- Crewe
• Sylk Dance Academy- Macclesfield
• Angela Jackson- Physiofit- Alderley Edge and Wilmslow
• Carter House- Congleton
• Macmillan Information and Support Service
Winner: Kate Blakemore – Motherwell CIC
Kate is founder and primary counsellor at Motherwell CIC. She ensures that support is available for mums suffering from post natal depression, anxiety and other issues. This is offered in the form of 1:1 counselling, workshops, wellbeing days and self care projects. Over the last 12 months Kate has also started a social care programme and established a board of trustees in preparation for move to charity status.
Club of the Year – Sponsored by eGym
• Macclesfield Boys Boxing Club
• Crewe Flyers Swimming Club
• Crewe Central Table Tennis Club
• Nantwich Neptune Lifesaving Club
Winner: Crewe Central Table Tennis Club
Crewe Central Table Tennis Club has over 100 members, ranging from ages 10-82. The Club has 1 Star Clubmark Accreditation from Table Tennis England, as well as their Premier Club status. They run open days with the likes of Desmond Douglas, the former World No. 7 coming along to provide coaching. In addition, they help to support the Crewe based South Cheshire Special Needs Club and run The Hub, a once a week three hour coaching session for anyone to come to and enjoy playing table tennis.
Volunteer of the Year – Sponsored by BWB
• Liam Potts- Rookie Instructor and Survive and Save Instructor- Nantwich
• Rick Simpson- Space4 Autism- Macclesfield
• Dennis Artess- Crewe Central Table Tennis club
• Andy Martin- Poynton’s swimming club
Winner: Rick Simpson
Rick has been at the heart of Space4Autism for 12 years. When it was obvious that boys who have co-ordination and behavioural problems couldn’t keep up with regular football sessions, Rick decided to start his own regular sessions on a voluntary basis. Rick also volunteers with the youth outward bound residential, giving up his weekends to be with the children, ensuring they have fun and gain confidence in a place where they feel safe to be themselves.
Young Volunteer of the Year – Sponsored by Crewe Town Council
• Yasmin Crawford- trampolining and cheerleading – The Kings School in Macclesfield
• Katie Haszeldine- Alderley Edge Cricket Club
• Matthew Smith- Crewe Football Club
• Jasmine Wrenn- Sylk Dance Academy Macclesfield
Winner: Matthew Smith
Matt has been an avid supporter of Crewe FC from a young age and, despite him suffering ill health, he was formally recognised at the Crewe FC appreciation night in 2013 as the Clubman of the Year. From then on, Matt has wanted to show his continued commitment to the club by offering his time as a volunteer. As a football club, Crewe FC have been so impressed with Matt’s dedication they paid for him to complete his FA Level 1 coaching qualification, making him their youngest ever coach!
Everybody Customer Hero – Sponsored by SAS Daniels
• Steph Telfer- Nantwich
• Richard Ransome- Crewe Lifestyle Centre
• Redvers Oakley- Holmes Chapel Leisure Centre
• Alison Wright- Holmes Chapel Community Centre
• John Carr- Shavington Leisure Centre
Winner: Steph Telfer
Steph became a member of Nantwich Swimming Pool just under six years ago after undergoing surgery to remove a brain tumour. Since becoming a member Steph has lost an unbelievable 10 stone by visiting the centre five times per week. Steph commented: “When I first became a member, I could only get in the pool. These days walking 8 miles is a regular occurrence”. Her outgoing, bubbly personality allows new customers to feel at home, she brings a little bit of happiness to everyone’s day.
Lifetime Achievement- Sponsored by Matrix
Brian and Shirley were part of the team who started Nantwich Neptune Lifesaving Club 43 years ago.
Now both in their 80s they still attend the club every Saturday morning. Brian is the Treasurer, Awards and Sales Officer and main point of contact for the club, and Shirley is the Secretary. Brian and Shirley both started as teachers and assessors for the club, and have taught many people the skills to become a lifesaver over the years. They have also coached lifesavers to successfully enter competitions (including the National Lifesaving Championships), and become teachers and judges themselves. Many of the lifesavers they have taught are still part of the club today.
The club has an extremely warm and supportive ethos which wouldn’t be the same without Brian and Shirley. On many occasions they have supported lifesavers through difficult times in their personal lives as they both have a genuine desire to support and help, whether it’s within lifesaving or daily life. Both are pivotal members of the club and are missed if they can’t attend for a week.
To start a club, teach lifesavers and to be so well liked and respected by club members for 43 years is a major achievement and the club would not be what it is today without Brian and Shirley Wiltshaw.
All the images from the evening can be found on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pg/EverybodySportRecreation/photos/
For more information on the Everybody Awards and to nominate for 2018 visit www.everybodyawards.org.uk.